One of the challenges of being a student is eating well, and unfortunately beer 🍺 doesn’t constitute a suitable diet on its own.
But eating well can be expensive. Those activated almonds and spiced quinoa balls are costing me a fortune!
But this all changed in 2018 when OASIS and FUSA launched the Flinders Community Market.
What is it?
It’s a community market, where you can access free and low-cost food.
The Community Market is held in the Oasis Community Centre every Thursday during semester in 2022 from 11am-1pm to bring you FREE fruit and vegetables available along with LOW COST pantry items.
Here’s what you need to know:
- To attend one of the sessions each week, please purchase a ticket at Eventbrite for each week you want to attend.
- You need to choose ONE 30-minute ‘ticket’ during the day.
- Please print the ticket and bring with you or bring it on your phone, for scanning upon entrance to the Market.
- Everyone is to keep 1.5m distance at all times and use hand sanitiser upon entry and exit of the Common Room.
- Bring a bag! (or two) 🍅🥔🥕
- The market typically runs through the exam period but closes during the mid year break.
Where is it?
The OASIS Common Room – OASIS is located at J7 on the campus map – walk from the library through the laneway to the building opposite car park 5. Walk downstairs to find Oasis.
The market is running every Thursday and we will open up the bookings (at the Eventbrite above) every few weeks as we may modify the times/sessions depending on demand.
See you soon!
Why a market?
Good nutrition is central to performing at your best. The market is there to help you get good quality food at really good prices.
Also, markets create a wonderful sense of community and provide an avenue through which individuals or groups can share/sell their creations.
Oh yeah, we need volunteers!!
Despite all the advances in AI and robotics, it turns out that a market can’t just run itself. We need people. We need you!
We are always looking for volunteers to help us at our community market. We begin setting up at 10:00 AM and finish packing away at 1:30 PM. If you are able to volunteer for some or all of this time, we would be so grateful!
By volunteering – you will be a part of a wonderful team, learn some new skills and help the student community!
Plus – the time you contribute goes towards points in the Horizon Award
If you are interested – please get in touch with us by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know what the next steps are!